VIrtual flight - Flight emulation for flying phobia treatment
Flying phobia and fear of flying desensitisation software
£15.75 (Appox $23 USD) Instant 40+MB download
What is the Virtual Flight software program?
Virtual Flight is a multimedia simulation of the entire flying and flight experience from arrival at the terminal to arrival at a holiday destination. The virtual flight is broken down into 18 different sections to facilitate easy desensitisation at the speed that is correct for the individual.
The flying experience is emulated by a series of fullscreen photo slideshows with aircraft background audio during the flight itself (including the inflight announcements). Approx 100 photos taken on real flights were used to create the Virtual Flight. The quality of the images and stereo audio is excellent.
This flight desensitisation utility is suitable for:
- flying phobia
- simple fear of flying
- flying anxiety
- excessive flight stress
- dislike of flying
The image below shows the flight simulator's main menu (the menu would normally fill the screen):
Click here to see a preview of the images used in the animation process to create the Virtual Flight. A small selection of these preview images have been included below:
How to use the Virtual Flight software utility?
For more detail in terms of how to use the virtual flight software as part of a systematic, exposure based desensitization treatment of phobias please see our training / usage notes pages. More...
Therapists: Enable your patient to enter into some form of relaxed state of mind and body, then gradually introduce material from the Virtual Flight encouraging relaxation / safety throughout. Proceed to the next section only when the SUDS for the current section have been substantially reduced, ideally to under 3.
Self-desensitisation: On a regular basis play the various sections at the same time as using some form of relaxation technique. Ensure that your breathing is regular and that you are doing something positive with your self-talk. Continue until your can experience the entire virtual flight without significant distress.
- V1.0 - 9 Sept 08 - First release
- V1.1 - 2 Feb 2010 - Change to enable silent reinstallation via autoupdate
- V1.2 - 2 Aug 2012 - Addition of new sounds (landing gear up and down), flap extension for landing and a new turbulence section
- V1.3 - 11 Sept 2012 - Ensured that images fit the screen completely even when using widescreen settings
- V1.4 - 24 Feb 2014 - New icon and improved "My Desktop / My Programs" installation locations
- 21 Mar 2015 - Update to facilitate installation on systems with Korean / Japanese / Chinese system character sets
The system operates with the following versions of Windows:
- Windows 7 / 8 / 8.1 / 10
- Windows XP Media Centre Edition 2005
- Windows XP (Home or Pro)
- Windows NT 4 (With service pack 6a or later applied)
- Windows ME
- Windows 2000 (With service pack 2 or later applied)
- Windows 98
A Mac specific version is available.
Mac Version Details
As of Feb 2010 a Mac specific version is available.
- MAC compatibility for PC based products depends on the level of Windows emulation installed
- Tested on OSX 10.3.9 / OSX 10.2.8 OSX / OSX 10.5 Leopard / OSX 10.6.8 Snow Leopard / OSX 10.7.5 Lion / OSX Mavericks 10.9
- The Mac version is the same as the PC version
- Modules are provided in .dmg and .bin format (Click here to test your system (dmg version only))
- 45 MB download (dmg)
NB The terms and conditions for Mac sales differ from those that apply to PC sales. Click here for details...
What about ongoing support and upgrades?
Installation support is UK based, free of charge and available by eMail. Updates are free of charge.
How much does it cost? How do I get it?
Online: Click here to access our secure online store to purchase and download. NB This is a large download of 30+ MB, if required order an installation CD in the shop.
By cheque: Complete an order form and send to us in the post with your cheque.
Glossary: virtual flight, flying simulation, flying desensitisation software, in vivo flying therapy, flight terror, flying anxiety, flying phobia, flight fear, fear of flying, flying aversion, flying phobia treatment, flying fear, flight desensitization, flying phobia app